Stinky Cheeze

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Let it snow! Let us eat cake!









We were surprised with some snow mid-week...it seems other parts of France have been hit hard but we got a very light coat. It normally doesn't snow here. The city doesn't own any snow plows, and they don't seem to salt much either. Nobody was out shoveling sidewalks so walking to work was tricky for a couple of days.

Other than that, life has gotten back to normal. We invited a french friend over for lunch today after church - she's leaving us in a month to spend five months as an exchange student in Germany so we will really miss her. We also learned our missionary friends (Charles and Debra) are having a baby in August, so we are excited to share this blessed time with them!

I will start my teaching schedule again next week so I'm looking forward to getting busier. Zack is staying busy with work and taking a few french classes. Here he is with a group of other Anglophones in a french conversation group at a local library.



France has this great tradition in January called "Fete des Rois" which means it's an excuse to buy a bread-like cake and invite friends over to share it with you. Whoever eats the slice with the carved figurine inside is "King" or "Queen" for the day and gets to wear a crown. So far, I have eaten four king cakes at various places. We need to carry this tradition back home with us because it really is a nice way to create an excuse for neighbors, family, coworkers, etc. to get together for coffee and cake. Here's a picture of two of the little men that I found in my cake...that means I was a "queen" TWICE! (...which doesn't really mean much at all)

And now, your moment of zen...







(you'll have to click this one to enlarge and look at the bumper sticker)

1 Comments:

  • At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    So good to get another blog. I look forward to them and the pictures in particular. I too love the "Don't mess with Texas" logo. Robby brought me one from his trip there.
    We are really cold but no snow.
    Love you.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home