Stinky Cheeze

Wednesday, March 21, 2007

The Harris' in France

Andy and Elizabeth Harris paid us a visit in early March after their sojourn in England- we toured the Fontevraud Abbey (largest monastery in France) about 15 miles outside of Angers, and then we drove to Paris for the weekend.



The tombs of Elenor of Aquitaine and Richard the Lionheart at Fontevraud










We were goaded into a Moroccan restaurant one night and then our final evening, we enjoyed a tasty french meal in an underground jazz club. Andy and Elizabeth spent LOTS of time in the Louvre Friday night. Zack and I walked around, learning when monuments and museums close in Paris (as we glanced down at our watches at 8:01pm...)

Then we visited Versailles which was interesting but physically exhausting (a 60 minute walk from the palace to the other end of the gardens...and don't forget the walk back - oy!).




On our way back to Angers, we stopped at the cathedral of Chartres to view their famous stain-glass windows (first time blue was used in stained-glass is what I heard).





There is a wonderful advantage to having a car because you can make so many stops along the way from here to there.

I miss my Honda...

2 Comments:

  • At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I am so envious of your going to Versailles and to Chartres. I guess the old history teacher in me is coming out.
    When are you guys planning to be home? Will it be in May before Julia's birthday or in June?
    Hope your weather is good- great here. Love, Mom

     
  • At 8:33 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    That's a cool picture with the Eiffel tower! Didnt know it looked like that at night. :-)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home