Stinky Cheeze

Sunday, October 01, 2006

A la mode!

No, this doesn't mean "with a side of ice cream". In French, it means "in style" (when I told some French people that we silly Americans use that phrase referring to ice cream, they laughed... and then wondered why.). So to ensure I would not stick out from the flock more than I do, I packed about 4 black sweaters and two pairs of black pants in preparation of my daily wardrobe here. Since the US tends to feel the western wind of 'chic' from Europe, I thought I'd go ahead and prepare you for some 'hot' trends coming your way:

Women - Be prepared to wear your knee high boots OVER your jeans (which of course must be skin tight). Bootcut is SO last year. Also, you also have a choice of wearing a skirt or a short dress OVER your jeans, too, as many young hip women are doing these days. Layering is where it's at. Of course, even on a mild day, men and women will have a very bright, long scarf wrapped around their necks like a half dressed mummy. C'est chic.

Men - Be prepared to start wearing some capri pants soon, very soon.

On the good note for me and Zack, flip-flops did make it here so we don't feel too out of place some days. I'm trying to explore more fashionable footwear options when I can, but there are only so many shoes you would choose to walk in 4-5 miles a day. I thought I had brought my "comfortable" shoes and quickly found out, they don't last more than a mile without causing pain. So, I'm back to being the American in tennis shoes or flip flops most of the time. For those who visit us, let comfort win over variety.

A plus tard!

4 Comments:

  • At 8:11 AM, Blogger Tiffani said…

    salut Elizabeth and Zack!

    J'espere que vous etes "habitue's" a vos nouveaux environs ;)

    quand est-ce que le cours d'anglais commence pour toi Elizabeth?

    ton francais as beaucoup plus ameliore', Zack?

    Erica told me about your blog, so I was excited to be able to read and follow up with you :) I have a blog too which I'll be updating shortly with the latest news ;)

    Anyway I'm glad you two have landed on your feet and best of luck with the rest of the year!

     
  • At 9:53 AM, Blogger Rosela said…

    Hi there,
    I found your "a la mode" post this morning via explorer vs. aol.
    Loved the fashion update and can see your dad in capris. Add his knee high black socks and another look is accomplished. So, black is still the safe color to bring with me when we visit. I do have lots of it. Be thinking of things you want from here. Between Kathy and me, we can Americanize you again.
    Love to both,
    Mom

     
  • At 10:10 AM, Blogger Tiffani said…

    hey Elizabeth! glad to hear from you! email me at tiffani_h@yahoo.com and we'll catch up :)

    Take care,
    Tiffani

     
  • At 5:55 PM, Blogger Zack said…

    You will never see me in capri pants.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home